Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Glover's Spotlight: Karma

We're bringing back the Glover's Spotlight, and this time, we're heading up north to MA, to speak with a talented glover with a fantastic outlook on what he does. Introducing, Karma.


What's up man?! Introduce yourself... What glover name do you go by and where did it come from?

What’s up Wish, in my daily life I go by my real name Mike but when the gloves get pulled on tight and the lights get turned on, I go by my glover name Karma. I’ve always been a believer in karma which in religions is the basic concept of an “action” or “deed” causing the cycle of cause and effect. When karma comes back around and bites you in the ass it hurts, so I try to make the right choices and stay true to myself to avoid it sneaking up on me.


How did you find out about gloving? 

I first found out about gloving in early 2011 when I went back to California to visit family and friends. I was at my friend Zach’s house and I remember him saying to me “I’m going to melt your face and mind by giving you a lightshow.” I was so hypnotized by the beautiful colors and this effortless flow he had... it took me a solid minute to pick my face up off the floor. He taught me a few basics like finger rolls, but I didn’t really get that into it until Camp Bisco 11. Since Camp Bisco I haven’t been able to stop learning new concepts therefore developing my own style.


Frank Dixon Photography

What got you to put on your first pair?

It was at Bisco where I got my first pair. Bought them from you Wish! At the booth you were working at (Electrik Graffiti)! I didn’t care what colors they were or how much I just wanted them. Once I had them I couldn’t take them off. Until I had to take them off and ended up losing them. Here's karma for you... a funny story. I recently became friends with a girl named Mia who also went to Bisco and found a pair of gloves that were the same kind as mine. If it just so happens they are mine, I'm glad they ended up in good hands, because she’s nasty at gloving.


Let's talk a little about the North Eastern scene. Everyone knows a Tight Crew party is what's up, but give everyone a little insight to what the people are like.

If you live in the North East and go to events frequently you have definitely heard and most likely attended a Tight Crew party. Everybody on that crew is wicked nice and kind hearted people who just want to have a good time with other good people. Ill definitely be attending their next event in Providence, Rhode Island “ Creatures of the Night 4.” I've noticed that its only at the Paladium that you get mostly bros and girls who want to show off their neon clothes. Events by Northern Lights, Mutiny, The White Rabbit... all of those events you get the nicest, most out-going, and caring people


What's the average reception of a glover in Massachusetts?

It really depends on where you go. For instance if you go to Throwed in Boston you don’t really get the best reception. I’ve actually been told by one of the guys that gloving has too much rave affiliation with it and that I should put them away. But at other places like RISE or the Palladium in Worcester people come up to me all the time asking nicely for a lightshow and there are always other glovers to trade with and learn new concepts from.


Tell us a bit about your team.

Well I have a gloving team and a gloving family. My gloving family is Northern Lights, its honestly the best gloving community there is. Everyone considers you family and they all just want to help one another grow as individuals and glovers. Someone is always willing to take the time to answer a question you have or show you some moves. I’m also part of the gloving team [CB] Cloud Busters headed by my friend in California Zach. We’ve been around for about a month now and I think having part of the crew in CA and the other part here in the east coast allows for not only recognition but also many different styles of gloving.


Dave Yang

How would you describe your gloving style. Are there certain moves you prefer to use in your shows?

I’d say my gloving style works best for trance type songs. I’ve spent a lot of hours developing a nice smooth liquid flow while at the same time incorporating mellow tunnels/whips and other rolls. For the most part I like to freestyle every show I give but I definitely have a few moves that I try to toss in at certain parts to make the viewer's jaw drop.


Awesome man, do you think that gloving has changed you at all?

Gloving has definitely changed me. I think it’s taught me about dedication, patience and has opened my eyes to new mediums for art. My finger dexterity has improved so much from the day I started gloving to now, I can bend my pinkies down while keeping my other fingers straight up!!!


I've got one last question for you I'm sure we're all dying to know: who do you look up to? Are there any Glovers that you try to learn from or influence you?

My favorite glover is Stunna from Team ayo? I love is style and musicality. Most of my influence comes from videos by team ayo? Or [PM]. If you ever watched a video of Fry… he’s beyond creative with his style and his moves, I have a lot of respect for how original he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment