Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"What?!" Factor: Swedish house Mafia

What is mainstream? There are so many people that hate on some producers, like Skrillex, because they're popular with all EDM lovers, making them "mainstream"... but hey give the guys a break. I'm not here to talk about most of them though, just Swedish House Mafia.


Yea I said it. First of all, most of the songs I was listening to in the beginning of my venture into electronic music, I was rocking out to Swedish House Mafia. These guys are sick, I love their songs. However, that doesn't mean that their most recent video wasn't a really, well, whoring their name value out....welcome to Selling Out 101 (or Genius Marketing 101).

If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch this video.


Just by watching that video, you've done exactly what Absolut wanted you to do, see their juicy grapefruit looking product. You are now one of the millions of people that watched this video, either because it was sponsored on Youtube or because it was Swedish House Mafia. Now, I know there are people out there that tattoo their bodies as billboard space, but to use a huge club, maybe to go so far as household, name is genius marketing. The video makes no sense, is way over produced, and leaves you on an awkward cliff hangar. It could have been way more intense with sexier clothing.

I only have one thing to say... if scotch tasted good with flavor like grapefruit, this music commercial would have sold me. Vodka... meh.


No comments:

Post a Comment