Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mario Party 4 - Post Review

Two weekends ago was the mark of what's was very well the biggest event here in New York City this year, and every party I've been to last, 'cept City Lights. Hell, I knew about it before even going to a rave. I actually got the inside scoop from the one and only Sam Froond (Urban Adventures), on Halloween 2011, as he showed me the video and pictures he took from Mario Party 3. He told me I had to be there, and that it was going to blow my mind. Sam was right, this party was thrown bigger than any party I've seen to this day, and it wasn't even done by bringing out the biggest banger DJs, it was done with love.

An Amped Up Crowd, Ye! By: Ronnie C.
Corny right?! It's so true though. Imagine I have this map in front of me. Tight Crew would be up here, about 5-6 hour drive from us. It felt like they brought the ENTIRE coastal north east to a warehouse in Brooklyn. That the first thing I noticed at this event, I didn't know 3/4's of the people. While totally not a bad thing, the vibes change from laid-back to adventure. I found myself constantly asking where they were from, and if they said NY and I didn't know them, I felt totally silly. But it was amazing to see so many people coming from Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut... and so on. They came out to party with their people and favorite promoters/producers.That's family, that's love.

You Already Know By: Dave Yang
Getting Ready to Party By: Dave Yang
The Party Bus By: Dave Yang


The party was held at The Lab. Even though I've been hearing people complain about this place since December, I've seen some amazing parties go down here, and this one blew them all away with decorations. Oh my god. The moment you walked in was like color everywhere. And you walked in from the front gates, so your in the smoking area outside from the get-go. There was a giant mushroom bouncy castle, about four different vendors including Electrik Graffiti with their tents lighting up. In the back there was even a wacky-wild-flailing-inflatable-arm-tub-man.

Aerobics of a Shy Guy By: Urban Adventures
Shy Guy in the Bouncy Castle By: Urban Adventures

Just...yes please By: Urban Adventures
 
Once you walked inside, now that was wild! They had the Mario World coin boxes everywhere, coins, Mario decals, projections, coins, ghosts, balloon fish, and a big balloon Mario (keg included).... deco was everywhere. The way the rooms were split up was pretty cool too. You had the main stage with the bar in the back (they had a shy guy flying around!), the smaller room to the side (where you use to walk in) with not only a DJ spinning, but Nintendos set up with games and bean bag chairs to lounge in, and of course, up stairs with more talent rocking out. So many people were dressed up! You had your ravers in raver gear, and tons of Mario related costumes. I saw Bowsers, Marios, Luigis, Boos, Peachs... Diddy Kong! Always a fun time when people are dressing up and contributing to the atmosphere.

Link will Straight up Cut You By: Ronnie C.

Yosh! By: Chorale Miles

Quite a Tall Luigi By: Ronnie C.

I was really excited to catch Subsonik spinning! that was a great treat. I got turned onto him the second I heard a track. Check him out, set were amazingly live! Gotta love Soundcloud!

SSS030 - State of Mind & Jade by Subsonik Sound Recordings
 
Did I mention the volume of people there? The spot was alive with tons of energy, and people of all shapes and sizes and from all over... I think some people really wanted that to be like a festival. It would have been pretty interesting camping out with all these people, especially if it were at The Lab in Brooklyn... right. I mean there was full body painting going on, a guy on stilts, a drum circle (normal for any party That Guy is at!), tons of kandi and love going around and lots to do.

Hoola Hooping By: Chorale Miles Photography

Cloud Giving a Show By: Ronnie C.

Meme This ^ By: Cheyenne Collins Photography
That's why I have Camp G.L.O.W. and Camp Bisco on my radar! This weekend is G.L.O.W. so I will be updated you on it... and it'll be a first for me, so cross that off the bucket list and get ready to have some good old fashioned camping out fun!

PHOTO/VIDEO:

Urban Adventures (Sam Froond) - SET//SLIDESHOW
Paus3 - SET//SLIDESHOW
Ronnie C. Photography - SET
Reptar Photography - SET
Dave White-Rabbit Yang - SET 1//SET 2//SET 3
Chorale Miles Photography - SET
Michael Von Eerie - SET
Ariel Guzman - SET

Danny Heart - SET 1
Cheyenne Collins Photography - SET
Triple Threat Productions - SET//VIDEO
666 Lights - VIDEO
FaraceChannel (youtube) - Mario Party 4 - Farace and Dave Berg

No comments:

Post a Comment