Sunday, July 22, 2012

Musically With It: Zedd's Beatport Remix Contest


Hey everyone, Z Here! I'm sure a lot you guys already know that Zedd and Beatport are throwing a remix contest for that catchy tune of a song Spectrum, and if you didn't then now you know why everyone and their mom has heard this particular song or one of its many remixes floating all over the EDM scene in the past couple of months. That isn't at all anywhere near a bad thing in my opinion this song is one of the most killer tracks out this year, and the plethora of amazing remixes that these artists new and old, established or grassroots, big or even small as hell keep this song and the entire scene fresh.

Never has one contest amazed me over and over, and I feel us at EGP need to give a certain spotlight to a few of these soon to be contenders in the EDM field. So I took the time myself to get over to the contest page and check a bunch of remixes out and pick out a few that really stood out to me as a couple of my favorites and who I think would win. Keep in mind that this is all my own opinion, I tried to do this with variety in mind so if anything you know that if you don't like any of the individuals up here you can figure that there's sure to be a bunch out there that you most definitely will like. The contest winner gets announced by August 14th, so in the meantime enjoy some tunes!



This first one up is one by none other than AaA, most don't know this man, the Laguna Beach native Erich Vickers, but he really knows how to make a presence for himself. He's fairly well known in EDM circles, and his remix of Spectrum goes hard with a higher tone on the overall package, an amazing spaced out glitch hop kinda feel which borders on funk and catchy new rythmns that fit in equally well with the originals tone in and out. This one is a personal favorite of mine which I know for a solid fact I'm gonna be bumping this for a while. 





This second one I'm showing you here is by ILLECTRIX. He's another big name coming up from the UK.  Nick KJ has been producing for a couple years and has just started to come in circles that are getting his name out there. He's pulled together a banging electro house drumstep mix for the competition using what I think are precise drum kicks and some heavy wet bass sounds to make an altogether dope remix.




This banger of a third is by Foxsky. He's from Fremont, California. His version of this song is an INTENSE moombahcore track with syrupy slow melodic choruses bringing in an altogether complete package if you love that spanish sounding beat timings. Which I do. Bassssssss.




Now this Fourth one, is who I think will win, Now I could be wrong but lets see here. I'm sure you've all heard of Stratus and if not, You should play catch up quick cause the EDM world is moving on fast and furiously without you. This remix although just a dubstep mix of Spectrum, gets treated with Stratus signature flair with lots of intense novelty sounds into almost vertigo speed inducing tempo shifts backed with a classic composition just only there to remind you what genre you're actually listening to. It's a work of EDM art if you ask me.

[scratchy records] WOAH

Hey ya'll, it's Wish[Paus3]. Z was telling me about this contest, so I had to check it out. Here's my two cents about he contest. I checked out the top voted, the mixes were hot! But, I know how sometimes talent can be overshadowed, so I went dooooown the list of entries and votes. I checked out this one mix by Razihel, and I'm glad I did! He clearly has a following, but the votes are lacking. Sitting between songs that were listened to at 700 something and almost 3,000 hits, Razihel's mix is almost at 6,000. Busing out some dubstep on the track is appropriate and he does it right. 

LISTEN HERE



[deep jazz dj voice] Back To Z

That wraps it up for my coverage for the contest. Hopefully I gave you all some insights into some directions to look for new music, sparked maybe a couple of ideas for upstart producers, or even showed you the new "favorite" song. Let me know what you think of the mixes in the comments below!

'We'll Hiiiiiide where love can save us... lol, its catchy. don't shoot me'

Love & Light
Z

No comments:

Post a Comment