Thursday, February 16, 2012

Glover's Spotlight: Legion

What's good everyone! It's Paus3 and we're back on EGP for a brand new Glover's Spotlight! With me today is an amazing glover, good friend, and fellow raver, Carlos! Thanks for being with us today man!

Baller
[PAUS3] Let's start with a little bit about your gloving history, how did you originally get into gloving?
[Carlos] I originally started gloving when I saw my friend Tarry Diamonds give it a try at a rave called Ecstasy May of last year. So I've been gloving for technically 9 months but I started to get really into it during the summer of last year. At first I was discouraged to glove because I didn't know how to do anything, it literally took me two months to get down finger roles.


What's your favorite part about gloving?

My favorite part of giving a light show is when the person I have given the show to thanks me and appreciates the show. My most favorite moments is when someone all of a sudden cracks a smile because they love the show so much; those are the moments I live for in my gloving, not the bugging out facial expression, or the soul snatcher (when someone is so entranced by the show that once your done they don't react for several seconds) its that kiddish smile that makes a light show heartfelt to me.

Fisheye :3

Do you have a gloving name, and if so, how did it come to be?

My glover name is "Legion" basically just took the second half of my rave name Carlos Legion and made it into my glover name nothing really special. In order to tell you about the name it over laps with my raver persona and basically I gave myself the name; it comes from the Demon Legion or the Demons that make up the persona Legion, but I don't use it in a negative connotation I took it because in my life I'm influenced by a multitude of things different genres of music, styles, etc. So me being a mash up of all these things and wanting to leave a personal mark on them like they have on me I came out with the name Legion. It applies to my gloving as well since I've been influenced by a various amount of glovers.


How would you describe you gloving style?

My gloving style is very fluid it consist of liquid the majority of the time; only the few times when I do digiting or tuts does it become more rigid at first I use to dislike that but now I feel like it adds a unique personality to my gloving. My style has been very influenced by Two glovers Epic Kirby Glover and Ray Chyeah, I try to apply as much of Kirby's Liquid into my show and try to add in Ray's precision, digiting style and he got me to slow down my gloving to people could see the finger roles and the figures I would make.

So Bright, So Vivid, So Intense

What's more important, technique or flow?

Flow is more important to me than technique even though I feel like technique is a major part of gloving. Without your flow your technique may break down or things may seem inconsistent during your show. Plus when I first started I was told to work on my flow before developing my technique so I stick to the school of thought.   


Do you glove outside of raving?

No I do not glove outside the rave scene; the only time I do is for practice or while trying to learn a new technique from a friend.


Who are some of your favorite glovers?

That's a really long list: the entire OWL team love those guys, Ray Chyeah, Epic Kirby Glover, Greg Bandit, Kris Marchi, Mikey, Eddie "Spikey" Diorio; there are just too many because to me everyone brings their own uniqueness to their gloving even though some use the same technique they always morph it into their own version of it. Are some more experienced then others yea, but hey I was a beginner once too and I'm still learning new things so to pick any one specific glover is hard for me. 

OWL <3
Tell us about the most epic light show you ever gave.

Hmm there have been a couple that were insanely epic for me, but one that comes to mind is a show I did at Cataclysm which if I'm not mistaken took place in October of last year, I gave a light show to five people it was my first time giving a light show to a group of that size, so I had to extend myself so all five people were able to enjoy the show it but a lot of strain on my arms n back but some how it worked out and all five loved it by the end; I'm pretty sure there have been way more epic ones than this one but its what comes to mind at the moment.


If you could go anywhere in the world and glove, where would you go?

Another long list lol: DefQon1, Qlimax, Burning Man, Electronic Daisy Festival; pretty much any large festival or show I have on my to do list to glove at.

Plays Well With Others
Streaming Lights at Lighting Fast Speeds
What your ideal rave scene look like?

My ideal rave scene Good Vibes, Good People, Epically Amazing Music just an all around good time with close friends and new people who are open minded about how ravers conduct themselves and what the scene means to a raver.


What does it mean to you to be a raver?

Being a raver for me means spending time with people you love and care about at a party that is blasting EDM music; dancing the night away till the sun rises and your eyes hurt but you don't care cause you know you've had a goodnight. Even though it may feel like you do the same thing every weekend, live for those special moments of connection you have at a rave whether it be with a friend or a stranger; because it's those moments you hold onto forever and look back on when you ask yourself why do I keep doing this. Finally, being a raver to me is applying the saying "Carpe Diem" (Seize the Day) to everything I do in a raver or even how I conduct myself outside one. That's what being a raver is to me. 

Thanks so much for being with us! Looking forward to throwing more lights with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment