Friday, December 16, 2011

An Interview with a Human Carpet: Kevin Carpet

A Human Carpet?? At First I was as confused as DJ Ashley over here, but now it is a little more clear...keep reading, and Ashley, maybe this will answer your questions....


There are plenty of interesting and cool people in the rave community. But I have not met anyone who can quite match up to Kevin Carpet. Known around the states as the human carpet. He was at the last two events I went to (Power Ravers/Pokèball). To say the least, he's an intriguing individual. Being on the scene for a very long time, Kevin has seen major changes to music, people coming to these events and the community itself. Let's look together into the background and mind of The Human Carpet!

Kevin Carpet!
 [PAUS3] When did you first joined the rave community, how were you introduced to them and what was your first event like?

[KEVIN CARPET] I was at the Disco 2000 events at the Limelight...where I was asked to participate and do my carpet thing. The head guys doing the event knew me since I ran the doors of some famous clubs... My first rave carpet was in the VIP area which overlooked the huge dance floor... And I remember as I peered out during the night I had Joan Jett, Christina Applegate, Billy Idol’s girlfriend and a lot of other cool people standing on the carpets to view what was going on the dance floor...

It was a cool night and I went back every Wednesday for the same Disco 2000 party, but sometimes I laid by the bar and sometimes I was with the Go-Go's... All depended on the night...


[P] Describe the rave community in your own words.

[K] The Rave community in a whole is like friends getting together at a party and enjoying great music and vibes and socializing... and yes Dancing! As they say most Raves I go to are full of PLUR and Unity (I guess that depends which ones you go to) but all the ones I go to are like that.


[P] How has the scene changed since the time you've started attending raves?
 
[K] Well Raves were at least some underground ones sometimes dangerous… meaning fights and all. Now it’s a Pleasure Peace Love Harmony... again at most events. It’s great seeing everyone chillin and enjoying themselves having a good time.

Coming in or Going Out...Kevin Makes it Interesting By: Ronnie C. Photography
Helping People Over the Ledge Pokèball By: Sam Freund

[P] What is some of your favorite music styles?
 
[K] Most people don’t know this but I DJed for years and I played at a lot of electro, gothic and techno events along with 80's 90's and industrial music....so I guess that’s what I like.


[P] Where does the name 'Carpet' come from?
 
[K] When I first started doing clubs and bars as a carpet people would say to me.."Hey it's Kevin the Carpet,” and "Hey Kevin Carpet!” and Walla! The name has been born.


[P] What is it about wrapping yourself in carpets and getting stepped on? Is it a fetish?

[K] When I first started doing this at gothic events I didn't use a carpet just laid by the bar dressed in all black, gloves, a ski mask and goggles... I laid very still all night and it was funny some people didn’t think I was real they had to touch me. Then when I received a government grant to do this. I had to think of other way to try and do this at different events clubs and bars… So carpet idea came when some people told me it was hard to stay on me cause my belly moved and they fell off sometimes, plus when girls wore heels that would hurt so that wasn't too much fun.

Then a bar owner said to me if I came there early and lay in a carpet in the corner where all the bartenders go and the shot girls and the patrons I could be incognito and be a part of the bar. People would think I was bunch of carpets there... Hmmm this sounded interesting....so it began. I got to this upper east side bar that got packed by 10pm. I got there by 8pm before the staff got in and set up. That lasted about 2 years and was fun except if I had 6 big guys standing there for an hour and never left. Those times I was thinking I should show myself, but didn’t. The owner also paid me and I got a ride home plus a meal… So this was good! Then I started doing this at many other clubs and bars all over NYC, NJ, Boston, and LA.
Those Boots Look Painful! By: Daily Eyes

Just Another Normal Day in Union Square


One thing about getting stepped on is not the main reason for the art… which is a part of it, but the art factor comes to play when you’re at a space laying there and being used as the object your portraying. Me a carpet... It’s about being ONE with the venue as people go about their business and your there like a chair, or a sofa. This IS a fetish for many, but to me this is an art. In fact I get messages all the time from guys all over the USA and beyond saying to me “Dude… How can you have guys walk on you? that’s gay.” I guess if I did this for a fetish or other reason maybe. If a guy loves girls then he would just want girls on him. Being a carpet is just that, being a carpet and carpets can’t say you can go on ‘em and who can’t.

I have to delete (comments) on my Facebook. A bunch of guys every now and then who do this for fetish and who write weird things on the pics and who may harass the people on my page.

Let me take this opportunity to say I tried a rave at Rebel a few years ago and I was by the bar and everyone looked at me, took pics and maybe went on the carpet for a second to take pic and then came off. I remember I left that Rebel after 2 hours and went to a downtown Hipster event where they loved me and had fun.

My first idea was to be incognito doing this, however ravers are real cool people and when they know when I'm there they bounce, jump and say hi to me as they pass by… It’s a whole new idea and thus helping me to make my grant more interesting. I do get some people who jump over saying sometimes “I don’t wanna hurt him,” which is another misconception...I HATE PAIN! However, this is non painful. When I lay where ever I'm at I get in a Zen like state and listen as people trod on me and go by...hearing and sensing the environment. Being an actual carpet... When this works it’s great... Doorways I like cause of the interaction with people I hear... ”Love ya carpet guy...Hey Kevin...You Rock Dude.”

It’s sad when I hear, “Oh no I hate stepping on him,” and then they gingerly step or jump. Then I feel bad... For the people. But, for the most part I'm happy and excited that I have been accepted at these events and people do write and tell me these days.

It’s not a party if you’re not there or you’re a staple at these events... Of course I know there are some who think otherwise and for that I'm sorry. It really amazes me how people can adapt and have fun with this....the thing that I do. Nowadays I have to thank ALL the cool promoters that ask me to join their events...

Red Balloon GoGo Dancing with an Orbit By: Ronnie C. Photography

NOW It's a Party! By: Lost Pages


[P] How many raves do you go to a year?
 
[K] Gee I never thought about that...hmmm I think I try to go almost weekly if there are events... And just until 5 months ago I never could go to events for years on a Friday always missed those events cause I had this Top 40, 80's 90's DJ gig... Paid well so I kept it, until I said to myself I'd rather be carpeting and now I'm having a Ball at these Friday & Saturday events.


[P] Where can people find you online?

[K] I'm Kevin carpet on Facebook...

[P] Any closing remarks?

[K] I forgot to mention Lady Gaga saw me at a few events (not raves) and talked about me in a Youtube video I thought that was cool. She and her friends stood on the carpet :D

I have to thank Kevin Bracken, Sam Black and Michael Dj Ritalin for letting me carpet at their events (Refugee) in Brooklyn. Then when that stopped I didn’t do raves for a long time till Ritalin said I could do The Marvels event. That was at Ten Eckyk St... When I go there I ended up doing the door for that one and it was cool cause it was  there that when I went inside I saw these cardboard boxes in front of the path to the outside smoking area. That’s when doorway carpet came in effect....

And thanks to Aeryck NYCRAVERS Ritalin, Jeff Cohen and Atom C. At the next one they found me a nice spot by the doorway... Which worked out great. No one knew at the first event but the promoters by the end of the event some word got around and it was cool the crowd had fun with it for the most part.


BIIIIG THANK YOU to Kevin for his time and honesty!! Make sure you say hi to him next time you see him at an event near you!!

24 comments:

  1. Kevin Carpet at Bobble Invaders was my first encounter. I'm glad this article was written, I didn't get a chance to speak with him and was a bit confused. Very cool guy, hope I catch him out again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily! We love Kevin! ~Wish~

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really appreciable article related to carpets which contains really helpful material. keep blogging and thanks for this one.carpet in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  4. In any case, in the event that you pick an expert floor covering cleaning administrations, they will have explicitly picked their rug cleaning items and hardware so they pummel recolors however sensitive on the strands of the rug. Carpet Cleaning in Brooklyn NY

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may Use your customer manual booklet to trace the problem. If a machine's defect is undetectable, it certainly needs a professional evaluation Professional Wolf Oven Repair Service

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our store have huge collection of carpets,rugs. Here we are introducing hand made rugs Our store have huge collection of carpets,rugs. you can visit us just clicking on our site. ModrenRugsDubai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our store have huge collection of carpets,rugs. Here we are introducing hand made rugs. you can visit us just clicking on our site. ModrenRugsDubai

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best Carpets, duplex Blinds, Silk Curtains by just clicking Silk Curtains

    ReplyDelete